Saturday, August 8, 2009

Salamat President

It has been a week since former President Cory Aquino passed away. I haven't been able to update this blog primarily because of that. The newsroom has been very busy those days. I was here at work when the news broke out at the wee hours of the morning. I am part of the "Friday Team". We stayed all night after receiving info that Cory is dying. Then at 4am, it was confirmed. We waited for an hour before airing the story, since we are not 100% sure.

From August 1 to August 5, as people lined for several hours, walked for several hours, so did I (in a different manner). I was at the control booth all those hours checking all the grahics, titles that went on air. Good thing, there was no "Pres. Arroyo died" statement just like other media stories. :-)

Covering Cory's death was really an emotionally filled job. You can't help but feel sorrow, even if a media person should be neutral. Though I am not a Cory fan, neither am I a Cory critic, I feel blessed and privileged of knowing I was alive during Cory's era. And I feel really irritated to all those who think she should not be given honor etc.

And biases aside, ABS-CBN/ ANC did a good job for its 5-day coverage of the event. It was an emotional ride (and expensive too) for all of us here in the newsroom, but it is worth for the woman who helped change Philippine history.

0 comments:

Post a Comment