Saturday, February 16, 2013

Unforgettable time with the Pope

When Pope Benedict XVI announced his resignation last February 11, my first reaction was of disbelief even saying he can't possibly do that. It was breaking news of a different scale. It was not a tsunami, an earthquake or nuclear explosion, but many in the newsroom were shocked by the announcement. But as the smoke died down, the news became clearer and eventually acceptable.

The news also brought me back to the time I went to Italy 3 years ago. I was lucky enough to have attended a mass at the St. Peter's Square celebrated by no less than the Pope himself. It was a huge honor to be part of that special mass which was by invitation only. I was attending a seminar in Rome at that time, and part of our itinerary, which I only found out during the seminar, was to attend the Papal mass. What was more surprising and memorable was that after the mass, the Pope took time, even though he already looked frail, to ride his 'pope mobile' and make one round in the Square just to greet the people. I was just meters away from the Pontiff. One unforgettable moment indeed.

huge crowd at St. Peter's Square
View of Pope's altar
Pope Benedict XVI
Book/missal given out during the mass (below)

the ticket




0 comments:

Post a Comment