Saturday, March 22, 2008

holy week so far

Aside from the fact that today is Black Saturday, it is also a Non-Working Holiday... but I am typing this post at work. Yup, I have work today. Well, just some light work. We were assigned just one day of work- either Maundy Thursday, Good Friday or Black Saturday. I was assigned for today. And since there are just a few people here (actually 3 lang kami working for ANC), it's really cold here at the office.

As for my "free days". I had a great Thursday and Friday. It was tiring, but very 'reflective'. Maundy Thursday, Doryll, Archie and I went to 7 churches in Manila for the Visita Iglesia tradition. We just rode jeeps, trikes and cabs. We visited historical and popular churches. We of course prayed... and had fun along the way. We walked the streets of Quiapo, Chinatown, Intramuros and even the Mall of Asia complex.

Good Friday, Archie, Coy Coy and I went to Antipolo for our "pilgrimage". We visited the famous Antipolo church and had our Stations of the Cross at the Via Dolorosa complex. It was a great stations of the cross, since there were life-sized statues of Jesus and other Biblical personalities...and all the stations are situated on a hill. We were climbing from one station to another (just like Calvary.. hehe). Pictures were not allowed inside, but we still took some (mga pasaway).

Holy Week in Manila is very different compared to the provinces. I was expecting the city to be less silent and more peaceful. But no, the city is still very much alive. Many establishments are still open. It's just like an ordinary day. But on the other hand, I am happy many people still visit the church and actually observe the lenten traditions.

This is my 2nd Holy Week away from family. Here are the pictures of the churches we visited last Thursday:

Quiapo Church


Sta. Cruz Church


Binondo Church


Manila Cathedral


San Agustin Church


Malate Church


Shrine of Jesus Christ

0 comments:

Post a Comment