Monday, November 17, 2014

Trip to World Heritage Sites

One of my dreams is to visit every UNESCO World Heritage site. Of course, that would be impossible. Aside from the fact that some sites are located in conflict zones, one would need a huge amount of money to travel to all those places. And given my meager salary and busy work, I'm happy if I can travel to at least one heritage site a year.

Thankfully, this year, I surpassed my annual target. I went to Beijing, which is home to several World Heritage sites. I went to the Great Wall, Forbidden City, Summer Palace and the Temple of Heaven. And aside from China, I also went to Myanmar this year. I visited the Bagan Archaeological Area, which is on its way to becoming a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Great Wall of China
In the Philippines, sadly, I have not been to all World Heritage sites. I have only been to 3 sites, which fall under the Baroque Churches of the Philippines. These are the Miag-ao Church in Iloilo, the San Agustin Church in Manila and the Paoay Church in Ilocos Norte. There's one more church in the list that I haven't been to: the Santa Maria Church in Ilocos Sur.
Paoay Church in the Philippines
I hope to visit more World Heritage sites in the Philippines next year, possibly the Puerto Princesa Underground River and the Historic Town of Vigan. I also wish to visit many sites in Southeast Asia, particularly Borobudur in Indonesia and Angkor in Cambodia.
Future World Heritage Site in Bagan, Myanmar



0 comments:

Post a Comment