Thursday, January 24, 2008

gut feel

You know what they say about gut feel or maybe instincts...
Well I think I have that in my system naturally. I have experienced a lot of times this feeling... it's actually hard to explain. But recently I have felt it.

It happened last week.

The invitations were out for a News Journalism Workshop to be conducted by the international news organization, the Associated Press. ABS-CBN hired them to conduct a 2-day training workshop for some selected employees. Well, I was not part of the list. I was really deeply saddened by that, because some of my co-workers were part of it. That workshop is really something big! Foreign journalists will come to Manila just to teach and talk to selected participants! It doesn't happen everyday. That day I really felt sad.

My boss then told me that she'll try to get me in. She said she really want me to be there. So there I was, just hanging by her words. But for some reason, I already think that I will be able to get in.

For days, I felt sad that I will be missing a big opportunity, but at the same time there was this feeling na makakapasok ako. I dont know why.. basta weird lang. Then a day before the training, my boss tod me na wala na daw slots talaga, but she will try again. So sabi ko, that's it wala na yan talaga.

The day of the training, I woke up around 6... then around 7... then around 8... just to check my phone if my boss txted me. No text arrived. The start of training is at 9am. Nothing happened so I slept.

Then just before 10am, my phone rang. It was my boss... telling me to go to the workshop at that very moment since may slot na! Wow, first time ko mag taxi going to work that day. And I did went to the training, which ended just today.

How weird that even at the last minute, I was told na I might not be part but I felt na I will be there. I dont know, I just find it weird. And it wasn't my first time to feel that "instinct".

Oh well... the workshop was really good! Buti na lang I was there. There were 2 speakers- one a British journalist who had several years of experience in Russia, the other was a a Hongkong-based Singaporean. ABS-CBN must have spent a lot on this training. I really learned a lot from the 2 experts. Not to mention there were a lot of free food!!!

We were even handed certificates after and some freebies of course such as ID lace, cap, t-shirts, Russian chocolates, original Russian vodka and a USB!!! (my very first USB). I felt really honored, cause ang mga "classmates" ko were reporters Timi Nubla, Cecille Lardizabal, Jenny Reyes, Jeff Canoy plus the executive producers of SOCO, XXX, NewsCentral, segment producer of The Correspondents and people from the News Desk. My co-worker Bettina and I were actually the youngest among the group.. it was an honor indeed.

8 comments:

  1. hi jek! jeff canoy is atenista batch 06 db? cersan? anyway, i'm happy for you. vodka? wow! -ka

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi ka!!! yup siya yun and reporter na siya.. kakainggit nga! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. ka... batch 07 pala siya, naging classmate kami in journalism classes..

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah soo nice to hear that jek =) im sure more opportunities will be coming out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks ros.. i hope great opportunities will come to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you Jekki. I hope things start going upward from here on out. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. -i hope so JOEY! i hope so...


    -hey janine!

    ReplyDelete