Saturday, September 14, 2013

24 hours in Puerto Princesa

'I Love Palawan' sign at Go Hotels' cafe
I just experienced my first ever "full" solo trip. I had solo trips in the past, but I would either attend a seminar or meet a friend who lives in the area. But just a few days ago, I went to Puerto Princesa, Palawan all by myself.

I bought a roundtrip ticket via TigerAir Philippines for less than P500 (this already includes the P200 NAIA terminal fee). I booked an overnight stay at Go Hotels for only about P900 (this already includes airport transfer and breakfast). Not bad at all.

I only stayed overnight because the airfare for other dates are expensive. Plus, this is just an experimental trip, so I don't want to be absent from work for a long time.

TigerAir plane at Puerto Princesa Airport
After arriving at the hotel, I had a brief rest then walked towards Robinsons Mall, which is very near the hotel. After eating lunch at the mall, I took a 'Libreng Sakay' multi-cab to the downtown area. I got off at the Puerto Princesa Cathedral (a church that reminded me of the Ho Chi Minh Cathedral in Vietnam). I went inside the cathedral, then went to the nearby historic Plaza Cuartel (no entrance fee). After, I walked around the downtown area, passing by schools, houses, shops and the public market. I went inside Unitop Department Store, then went to the Baywalk. It was raining a bit, but I enjoyed the walk. By 7pm, I went to the 'Libreng Sakay' stop at the Cathedral. I was, however, informed by the driver, it was no longer for free at that time. But the jeepney fare back to the hotel is just P10, so I obliged.

The spacious & empty Robinsons Mall
The next day, I ate breakfast at the hotel for free. Then I was brought to the airport by a van. Again, I was alone in the van with the driver saying "parang VIP ako". The driver first brought me to a souvenir shop before heading to the airport.

It was a very short trip, just about 24 hours, but I enjoyed it. In total, I think I only spent P2,000 including all the food, transport, airfare and hotel. I vow to return to Puerto Princesa again to visit the Underground River! My driver in the city was very friendly and he also works in a travel agency, so if you want his number to get good deals on tours, just comment. Here are some of the photos of the places I visited:

Puerto Princesa Cathedral

Plaza Cuartel
View of the sea from Plaza Cuartel
Puerto Princesa Baywalk

0 comments:

Post a Comment