Friday, April 17, 2015

First time in a mosque

The closest I was to a mosque was when I visited Malaysia early this year. I took pictures of the Kota Kinabalu City Mosque, but I wasn't able to enter the mosque itself since we had a limited time. But last March, I finally entered a mosque, this time it was in Abu Dhabi, UAE.

I visited the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. And it was a truly beautiful sight. White domes dominate the skyline and the place was really huge. It's one of the top tourist destinations in Abu Dhabi, because visitors, even non-Muslims, can enter the mosque. There is no entrance fee, but they have a dress code. Don't worry, even if you're not wearing the right attire, they can lend you a traditional clothing that you can wear over your clothes.

It was my first time to enter an Islamic religious site. I really didn't know what to see or expect inside. And I was truly amazed. There were huge chandeliers (I think the biggest in the world), intricate designs all over the interiors, a big carpet (I think also a world record) and a very wide space. In a Catholic Church, you will see pews and statues, here there are no chairs and no images. Despite the crowd, it was very peaceful.

The mosque was just built recently as a tribute to the former ruler of the United Arab Emirates. It is one of the biggest mosques in the world and it can accommodate thousands of worshippers. This is a must-see for anyone visiting Abu Dhabi. Other major mosques in the Middle East do not allow the entry of non-Muslims, but this mosque welcomes tourists and thus it becomes an avenue for understanding, awareness and appreciation of various cultures, religions and even the arts.


I went to the mosque at noon so it was kinda hot. The next time I'll visit the city, going at night would be a great idea because of the nice lights illuminating this grand mosque.

Below are some photos of the mosque. You can click on the photos for a larger view.

Rules for visitors










0 comments:

Post a Comment