Thursday, September 25, 2014

7 Full Years in the Newsroom

This month marks my 7th year as a journalist. I joined the ABS-CBN News Channel (ANC) in September 2007, a few months after graduation. It's my first and only job. I initially wasn't thinking of ANC when I applied for work. I remember the HR person telling me to rank where I want to work. The choices were: TV Patrol or Bandila, The Correspondents or any current affairs show on ABS-CBN or ANC. Well, ANC was the last on my list, but as it turned out, it was the only one that has a vacancy. So, I said yes right away.

My journey with ANC has its ups and downs. I guess, like any employee, one would have a love-hate relationship with your company. But like any family, you learn to love them.

I am proud to say I started as a PA/runner. Today, fresh grads usually start as PA/writer, but during my time, it was PA/runner- a lowly position. I would deliver scripts to the editing or the control booth daily. I would also, sometimes, be assigned to just stay behind the camera, doing nothing, just observe. I felt underemployed at that time, but I know, I also learned a lot about the systems in the newsroom, since I get to work or interact with people from the newsroom, editing room, control booth and even the studio.

The World Tonight 2007- when I was still tasked to observe behind the camera

Eventually, I was tasked to write. My first tasks were writing sports or foreign news. And from there, my career grew, albeit in a slow pace. I would be assigned to check the graphics in the control booth, produce short reports, and eventually I would write business news, politics, showbiz, technology, features and basically just about anything. I would also join special documentary teams, breaking news coverage and many more. I'd like to think I have a broad experience in the "behind the camera" role (writer, producer, graphics checker, and even experience the 'point of view' of a studio cameraman). Oh, I'm also part of the social media team of ANC, one of the pioneers from among news organizations in the country.

On the on-cam side, my first ANC appearance was as the explainee in the show 'The Explainer' hosted by Manolo Quezon. I would do it once in a while. Then I would also ask my bosses to allow me to cover features stories on the field. My first coverage was about the National Disability Month. From that moment, I have done dozens of coverage not just in Metro Manila, but also in Cebu, Negros, Benguet, Ilocos Norte, Maguindanao and Leyte. I have also interviewed so many people, among them CEOs, senators, and even celebrities including Paris Hilton. I have also been on a Spanish Galleon ship and the US aircraft carrier.

My first anchor post started in 2012, when I was asked to be a weather anchor for ANC's weekend grid. I was also given the opportunity to anchor the newscasts during the graveyard shift once a week. And by 2014, I was assigned to handle the graveyard shift on a daily basis. I have also pushed some of my reports for TV Patrol Weekend, do Balitang America and lend my voice for Umagang Kay Ganda.


I have seen and worked during many breaking news coverage, including the Maguindanao Massacre, Manila Hostage Crisis, Cory Aquino's death, Halalan, Corona impeachment and the many typhoons, SONAs, senate hearings, and dozens of special events.

They say, there's a 7-year itch. We'll, I'm not sure about that, but what I am certain is that I will continue to grow, continue to learn new things. I still have a lot to learn, and many of the things I have learned, I owe to ANC.
Selfie! September 2007 (background: old newsroom look)



0 comments:

Post a Comment