Monday, July 28, 2014

Smaller and Smaller Circles

Because of Typhoon Glenda (international name Rammasun), I was forced to again hold a book. The typhoon caused power outages in Metro Manila and nearby provinces. My laptop and phone's batteries were draining and there was really nothing much to do. I went to my mini bookshelf and picked one book, the first time I have done so in months (maybe even years).

I chose the novel 'Smaller and Smaller Circles.' It's a crime novel set in the Philippines and written by a Filipino. I bought that book about 10 years ago because I was looking for an English language Filipino novel. I read it, but forgot the story. And now with the tiny ray of light from the sun that entered my window into my dark room, I read the book again.

I'm not a fan of crime novels, but I like the book. One, it's written by a Filipino and set in Quezon City, where I live. So there's a 'homey' feeling. Second, it features Jesuits as the lead characters. I studied in a Jesuit university years ago.

It feels different if a movie or a book is set in an area you are familiar with. In a way, you feel attached somehow. And after reading so many books set in Europe or the U.S., reading a Philippine novel is very refreshing. And the book was written well, so no complaints on how the story developed and progressed. Though I just wish there were twists. You kinda know who the killer is in the middle of the story. But that's an author's prerogative.

Things I learned (or relearned) from the story: 1) The country has very poor investigation process/skills; 2) So many people have no access to proper health care; 3) Family will always be family no matter what; 4) Jesuits are really versatile; and for me as a journalist 5) There are always ways to get a story without joining the bandwagon.

As I said, I bought the book about a decade ago, not knowing who the author is or what awards the book won. Forward to 2013, the author became my office mate. Her name is F.H. Batacan or Ichi. I was shocked she suddenly joined ANC. And I'm sure she has no idea I read her book 10 years ago. Small world, or should I say, smaller and smaller circles indeed.

1 comment: