Tuesday, May 13, 2008

asian deaths

It's been a while since I wrote here.

I just feel quite sad with the global stories happening now. I am in charge of writing foreign news and it just seems sad to write all the dead people and the wars and the disasters. Recently I was writing about the Myanmar cyclone story where the death toll is pegged nearly 30,000!!! Can you imagine that? I mean, 1 or 2 dead is something big, but 30,000??

At that fateful night when meters-high waves struck villages and 190kmh winds swept them, all they can do was just to cling on to their dear lives, but not all survived. Worst, the Myanmar government is too paranoid to receive international aid.

After less than 2 weeks... A 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck China just this afternoon killing, as of now, 8,500 people!!! While I was writing it for the 5pm news, there were only 4 dead, now 8,500!!! What about tomorrow? It will surey rise again. Writing for these kind of stories does not really give me a nice feeling.

The thing is all these deaths happened so near our shores. They're our neighbors. I guess we can just thank God for protecting us and for praying it will never happen to our country. Haay naku... I wil have to update the death toll tomorrow... I just hope there will be less deaths. Let us continue praying for them.

3 comments:

  1. hey jek! i also found out about both events in the tv news. i was also shocked coz sunod sunod ang mga pangyayari. it reminded me of the tsunamis before where it hit many countries. and i'm also frustrated of the burmese gov't! =c yup.. let's pray for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. grabe noh? and all these just happened so near our country...
    what's next kaya?

    ReplyDelete
  3. just to add...
    the magnitude was raised to 7.9
    and the death toll rises to over 12,000 and 18,000 more are trapped in one city alone...

    updates as of now...

    ReplyDelete